Lojic Technologies

How to Write a Spelling Corrector in Ruby

with 14 comments

Update 10/16/2015: Please see the Racket Version also.

Peter Norvig wrote a simple spelling corrector in 20 lines of Python 2.5,

1. List comprehensions in Python made the edits1 function more elegant IMO.
  2. The boolean expression in the correct function evaluates empty sets/arrays as false in Python but not in Ruby, so I had to add the “result.empty? ? nil : result” expression to several functions. I expect there’s a better way to handle this also.

Otherwise, the translation was pretty straightforward.

Here’s a link to Norvig’s page:

That page includes a link to a text file that I saved locally as
holmes.txt: http://www.norvig.com/holmes.txt

def words text
  text.downcase.scan(/[a-z]+/)
end

def train features
  model = Hash.new(1)
  features.each {|f| model[f] += 1 }
  return model
end

NWORDS = train(words(File.new('holmes.txt').read))
LETTERS = ("a".."z").to_a.join

def edits1 word
  n = word.length
  deletion = (0...n).collect {|i| word[0...i]+word[i+1..-1] }
  transposition = (0...n-1).collect {|i| word[0...i]+word[i+1,1]+word[i,1]+word[i+2..-1] }
  alteration = []
  n.times {|i| LETTERS.each_byte {|l| alteration << word[0...i]+l.chr+word[i+1..-1] } }
  insertion = []
  (n+1).times {|i| LETTERS.each_byte {|l| insertion << word[0...i]+l.chr+word[i..-1] } }
  result = deletion + transposition + alteration + insertion
  result.empty? ? nil : result
end

def known_edits2 word
  result = []
  edits1(word).each {|e1| edits1(e1).each {|e2| result << e2 if NWORDS.has_key?(e2) }}
  result.empty? ? nil : result
end

def known words
  result = words.find_all {|w| NWORDS.has_key?(w) }
  result.empty? ? nil : result
end

def correct word
  (known([word]) or known(edits1(word)) or known_edits2(word) or
    [word]).max {|a,b| NWORDS[a] <=> NWORDS[b] }
end

After you’ve saved the holmes.txt file, load the code into irb and call the correct function with a string as follows:

badkins:~/sync/code/ruby$ irb
irb(main):001:0> require 'spelling_corrector.rb'
=> true
irb(main):002:0> correct "whree"
=> "where"

Written by Brian Adkins

September 4, 2008 at 3:58 pm

Posted in people, programming

Tagged with ,

14 Responses

1. […] How to Write a Spelling Corrector in Ruby Peter Norvig wrote a simple spelling corrector in 20 lines of Python 2.5, so I thought I’d see what it looks like in Ruby. Here are some areas I’m not pleased with: (tags: ruby programming) […]

2. Brian, is it okay with you if I include your code in the Ruby Benchmark Suite? It’s an open source project that’s released under the MIT license. Your file would therefore be released as MIT as well, carry a copyright line with your name, and a link back to this post.

Antonio Cangiano

April 12, 2009 at 10:48 am

3. @Antonio – sure, as long as the copyright is retained.

Brian Adkins

April 12, 2009 at 4:57 pm

4. I know both Python and Ruby, and IMHO your Ruby edition is much more readable. As pretty as a typical elementary number theory theorem and proof.

Ray Pereda

January 26, 2010 at 5:06 pm

5. for the alteration (and insertion) you could also use this syntax, for consistency:

alteration = (0…n).collect { |i| (0…26).collect { |l| word[0…i] + LETTERS[l].chr+word[i+1..-1] } }.flatten

McGee

September 16, 2010 at 7:35 pm

6. I think this is a bit more Rubyish:

!result.empty? && result

Mark Wilden

December 23, 2010 at 5:03 pm

7. result.any? && result

Also, result = words.find_all {|w| NWORDS.has_key?(w) } can be rewritten as:

result = words & HWORDS.keys

which is faster and removes duplicates.

Michael Dvorkin

December 24, 2010 at 12:03 am

8. […] – Brian Adkins’ article How to Write a Spelling Corrector in Ruby helped a lot when I was trying to translate the python […]

9. thanks for the ruby version, remember that in the
    train method you don’t need to put return model as in
    other languages.

alejandrodumas

January 19, 2011 at 8:17 am

10. […] Brian Adkins […]

Spellbound « newlisper

February 8, 2011 at 9:43 am

11. Thanks for this code. It will be very useful in one of my websites. I only need to adapt it to Portuguese language (with some special chars).

Carlos Werberich

May 4, 2012 at 12:48 pm

12. […] September, 2008, I translated Peter Norvig’s spelling corrector into Ruby. My current favorite language is Racket, so I thought it would be a good exercise to port it to […]

13. In your second last line you want to have NWORDS[a] NWORDS[b]. The operator is missing.

Prab

September 8, 2016 at 4:15 pm

• Looks like that operator isn’t displaying on this page. <=>

Prab