I upgraded to Emacs 28.2 (MacOS Ventura), and it required a few tweaks, so I’m documenting that here for future reference.
When I first tried the typical build steps, I received a “not found” error for a libxml2 header. I installed libxml2 via
brew install libxml2; however, it placed the header files in a location unexpected by the Emacs makefile. So I had to edit the configure script (see below).
- Go to http://mirror.keystealth.org/gnu/emacs/
- Download emacs–28.2.tar.gz
- tar xzf emacs–28.2.tar.gz
- cd emacs–28.2
- Edit the configure file and make the changes as described below .
- Drag nextstep/Emacs.app to the Applications directory
Also, with MacOS Ventura, I had to give Emacs full disk access to be able to view directory listings on external drives.
 Changes to configure file to properly locate the libxml2 files. Change: